Dangerous Substances and Explosive Atmospheres (DSEAR) Awareness Training
CDS Defence Support was tasked with the design and develop a 40 minute e-learning module that must meet the DSEAR 2002 regulations
The MoD’s DSEAR Program Executive Group identified a need for a common awareness training package for all MoD staff who work in or next to facilities or processes where DSEAR applies to ensure they understand the risks and mitigation controls.
The task was to design and develop a 40 minute e-learning module that must meet the DSEAR 2002 regulations and cover the following learning objectives as a minimum:
- Legal duties set out in DSEAR
- Roles and responsibilities
- DSEAR processes
- Risk Assessments
- Area classifications and zone drawings
- Final Learning Assessment
CDS won the contract after having demonstrated their extensive expertise and experience in the field of health and safety, training and in the design and delivery of compelling and effective e-learning solutions.
CDS developed a single HTML 5 (SCORM 1.2 compliant) published 35 – 45 minute interactive e-learning training module accessible via the Defence Learning Portal (DLP).
The training module comprised seven chapters, with a non-marked assessment at the end of each chapter to reinforce user knowledge, with a final assessment at the end to test the user’s understanding, with a pass rate set at 75%.
The course material was produced in a Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0 AA accessible format, which included:
- A high contrast design for the visually impaired
- Careful selection of colour combinations for colour blind users
- Alternate course navigation methods, such as keyboard shortcuts
- Closed captions/suitable alternatives for any video/sound files
- Avoidance of any animations or other effects that can cause seizures
- Toolbars with links for navigation and instructions/help
- Ensuring the compatibility with as many web browsers as possible
CDS’ specialist experience and skill sets provided a number of benefits:
- The subject matter expertise of our health and safety consultants, complemented by the technical capabilities of our e-learning designers and developers provided the customer with substantial time and cost savings.
- The significant amount of verification and validation conducted throughout the process ensured the supplied e-learning training package information was entirely comprehensive and accurate for use.
- CDS’ experience and understanding of delivering effective training packages meant we understood the importance of including a non-marked assessment at the end of each course chapter to reinforce user knowledge.
- Our team of designers and web developers specialise in the delivery of written information via digital media and as such understand the importance of keeping the user engaged. The team effectively facilitated this with the use of an Interactive Visual-based E-learning package.
CDS services used in delivering this solution:
- Project Management
- Information Management
- Quality Assurance
- Technical Authoring
- Technical Illustration
- Corporate Branding
- Software Development
- Interactive Visual-based E-learning